Call your Assemblyman TODAY! Tell him or her that you want a statutory guarantee of a right to access your pistol permit file as per “The Civil Rights Restoration Act!” A6805. PLEASE SHARE!
This morning, I am drafting an appeal regarding a permit revocation. I enter this case for appellate purposes and was not on the original revocation defense. Yet again, I am having to seek court permission to review a client’s pistol permit file to find out what notes the NYS Police and other government employees have put into it.
You have no right to see the contents of your pistol permit file. You have no right to copies of the materials in it. The licensing officer and the courts use the contents of that file to make determinations on whether you will be issued and whether you get to keep your pistol permit. They have no obligation to identify what papers they relied upon or how it impacted their decision. Yet another NYS government secret file on you!
Get on board the activism train! Call your Assemblyman today and call Speaker Heastie today! We need passage of “The Civil Rights Restoration Act!” A6805. One of its provisions guarantees your right of access to all information the government is harboring about you in your pistol permit file!
- Place the call to your Assemblyman.
- Ask the Assemblyman to Co-Sponsor A6805.
- Educate the Assemblyman and the staffer that you support the right of access to your pistol permit file. If it’s about you and it’s maintained by the government, then you should also have access to it. It’s an issue of Due Process for all who defend their rights.
- Tell the Assemblyman that you will be monitoring the Bill to see his or her name appear as a Co-Sponsor, and that you will call every week until it appears. (Then do so. Make a weekly call your activism commitment through the end of the 2017 session.)
- Please call Judiciary Committee Chairwoman Helene E. Weinstein (518-455-5462), and explain to her and her staff the importance of access to the same information used by a judge when making a determination. It’s impossible to present a case, concerning a fundamental constitutional right, when the judge is looking at a secret file that even the lawyer has no right to access and review! It’s an issue of Due Process for all who defend their rights.
- Call Assemblymen Lopez (518-455-5363), Assemblyman DiPietro (518-455-4886), and Assemblyman Blankenbush (518-455-5797) to say thank you for sponsoring and co-sponsoring this important Bill…and let’s get this passed in 2017!
Thank you for all that you do. Fight on!
Best regards, Paloma
Paloma A. Capanna Attorney & Policy Analyst 633 Lake Road Webster, New York 14580 www.Law-Policy.com 585.377.7260 office 585.377.7268 facsimile
“Freedom does not exist to taunt tyranny.
Freedom simply is.” – Me.
The information transmitted (including attachments) is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. 2510-2521, and is intended only for the person(s) or entity(ies) to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient(s) is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and immediately destroy this material.